/Tuesday, February 05, 2008
I got really furious when I watch the news this morning before heading off to work;
A Singaporean housewife had uploaded 6 videos footages on youtube which shows her maid abusing her baby while the baby's parents were out of view,
I'm very disappointed by the maid's action and greatly disturbed and abhorred at how one can behave so badly in a private sphere.
Punching the baby's groin, kickin' him with her legs, tossing him up and down like a rag doll,
Thanks to a CCTV cleverly hidden in the living room,
The maid's heinous deeds are finally exposed.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ot22xZqLMMI&feature=relatedThanks to informal media platform like blogs and youtube, news like this do spread like wildfire and are able to capture people's attention like never before.
What public furor these videos had sparked off.
Having come from a family that had gone thru' 11 maids (and still counting...) I seriously think that something should be done in ensuring house helpers are indeed safe enough for your homes.
From these 11 maids I've seen to & fro' my granny's place, about half of them have stolen from the house, and 3 of them ran away with their passports and
God-Knows-Which Bangla worker.
I do not wish to stereotype domestic helpers and neither have I met families who treat their maids with at least some dignity (Read: NOT treating them as 2nd class citizen)
Employer hits maid, maid hits baby; it's a vicious cycle.
it just ain't right @ Tuesday, February 05, 2008